Information For Service Academy Nominations
The nomination process is as follows:
- Write to your senator in your junior year of high school, certainly before July 1 of your senior year.
- Know the basic requirements.
- Take your SAT before applying for nomination. You will generally need a verbal score of 550 or more and a math score of 600 or better.
- Maintain high academic standing (at least the upper 40% of your class).
- Maintain first-rate medical condition and proper physical aptitude.
- Obtain an application from your career center.
- Compile and submit a completed application including letters of recommendation, transcript of record, and SAT scores. See your counselor for details.
- Watch your deadline. The application must be postmarked by November 15 and will not be accepted if late.
Note contact information:
Leonardtown High School partners with The College of Southern Maryland (CSM) to offer its students dual enrollment opportunities. Dual enrollment allows you to take classes at CSM for college credit while satisfying your high school graduation requirements. Talk to your high school counselor about some classes at CSM that can help fulfill your high school graduation requirements.
Dual Enrollment Deadlines:
Summer Semester: May 15
Fall Semester: July 15
Spring Semester: December 15
MD 529 COLLEGE SAVINGS PLAN
The State of Maryland offers two 529 college savings options to help families save and reduce the need for burdensome student loans. Maryland 529, formerly College Savings Plans of Maryland, can help give the families in your schools a jump start on their college savings for as little as $25 a month. The Maryland Prepaid College Trust allows a family to lock in tomorrow's tuition at today’s prices, with flexible payment plans. Additionally, low and middle-income families may be eligible to receive a $250 State Contribution. To see the program details and income limitations go to MD 529 Webpage
ACADEMIC COMMON MARKET IN-STATE TUITION WAIVER
Study in a specialized field at an out-of-state college. Pay in-state tuition rates.
Is a degree program you’d like to pursue not available in your state? Is out-of-state tuition a barrier to a major offered at a college in another state? Looking for options with lower tuition?